Ermz

Thursday, December 28, 2006

Proper etiquitte on eating pie.


My uncle is here from portugal. This is the first time he has left the islands bisides being in the war in Africa (years, years ago) so this presented a rather interesting trip. He first had to adjust to the cold, despite the fact that it really wasn't that cold. He then had to adjust to this rather rapid "time is money" culture. He was shocked how large our airport was -- and how many cars travel on the highway (401). It was quite hilarious.

But one event tops it all....


As we sat down eating dinner we decided to treat ourselves and introduce my uncle to the term desserts, in Portugal we don't do desserts. In fact I was surprised when I reached Redeemer and every meal was followed by dessert. Weird, but a pleasant treat.

Anyways,

we had cherry pie and my uncle didn't understand what kind of 'torte' this was. He stared at it for quite some time. We just sat their watching meh!! Some time elapsed and we began to consume our savoury pie (my first time having cherry -- I still prefer apple) I guess he, my uncle, missed the fact that we were eating it with a FORK. He had a slice of pie in his hand and cherries were oozing all over his hand. It was hilarious. Everyone dieing of histaria. It was too funny. All he kept saying was "who eats this stuff; it's to mushy" and "it's dripping everywhere".

I guess we failed to inform him of the proper etiquitte on eating pie. As a result a lesson was learned: one must educate those who come from a different culture on various cultural differences including how to eat pie.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home