Ermz

Thursday, October 20, 2005

A Single Step...

Accept no one's definition of your life, but define yourself." - Harvey Fierstein

A Wise Man set out to see if he could visit all the villages in his country during his life time. One day, late in the evening,after a very weary journey across the mountains, he came to a small village. He started to unpack his bedding (for it was his custom to rest in the open at night under the stars) when he heard a voice greeting him. Looking up he was confronted by a man who introduced himself as one of the Village Elders. 'You are welcome to rest in our home', said the Elder,'It may rain this evening and you are welcome to shelter with us'. The Wise Man smiled, but decided to accept the hospitality.

At supper time he sat with the Elder's family. From the way they acted it was obvious that this was a loving and friendly community. It was the Wise Man's practice to say little but listen much. He heard the Elder's granddaughter sighing and muttering to her husband 'I wish I could do it - but it's impossible!.' When her husband got up to take their child to sleep the Wise Man moved closer to the woman. He smiled and looked into her eyes. 'Whatever is troubling you', he said, 'remember this, there is a remedy, a solution to all things but it always comes down to choice. Even the longest journey starts with but a single step'. The woman looked at him for a moment, then said 'I suppose I have known this all along but could not admit it, now I will try'. The Wise Man thanked his hosts the next morning and departed the village. He had mentioned where he thought he would arrive at in six months time; it was a small community in the far north.

The Wise Man had many adventures (which we may hear of another time) and eventually arrived at the northern village, some six month's later. This time he did sleep under the stars. The following morning he was approached by a man who said he was from the village Inn. 'Your arrival has been foretold to me, by this letter in my hand', the Inn keeper said. 'It describes you and so I give it to you now'.

The Wise Man was not easily surprised (having seen much in his long life) and raised an eyebrow. The letter began...'Most kind and generous sir, I followed your advice but it was such an arduous, almost painful, task to do what I wanted to do. But, now, after many months my heart is joyful. I feel I am on the way, I believe I can do this thing. That single step was the hardest, over many weeks. Tomorrow, I take the second step.......'

The Wise Man smiled again.


~author unknown~

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home