Ermz

Sunday, June 05, 2005

Worth Dreams

Worthy Dreams

Okay, for some of you this question may look quite familiar from philosophy class. As much as I struggled with thought and personal analysis in the class (when I did attend) I enjoyed completing the weekly ‘Big question Reflection’ questions.

I can honestly say that some of the subject areas that we covered in class were quite profound and ‘mind blowing’. Some of the themes were very inspiring and I find myself continually thinking and analyzing some of those themes and questions. Here is one of them:

My worthy, enlivening, big-D Dream is to one day become an Educator a teacher. A teacher is an individual that sparks intellects, makes subject matter come alive and causes students to pursue knowledge on their own. Teaching is a multi-disciplinary art and a dedicated teacher is part confidant, friend, motivator, coach, actor and leader. Classrooms would be a boring place if every teacher taught the same way. One must find a teaching method that is most effective for oneself and their student.

The process of organization is important in maintaining a ‘well-balanced’ school. Educators perform an important and most valuable role within the school the ‘leader’. The function of a leader is not to create followers but is to create other leaders.

Over the years it I have become aware that my decisions today will affect me tomorrow. However, I have come to realize that there is no set path to where we are going. One should ‘travel the path untaken and make his mark’ which, is the philosophy I have stuck to today. God guides and is with us no matter what direction one chooses. I have come to the awareness that whatever my desire is/was and will continue to be God will help me along the paths. This desire to teach really struck me in high school and since then I have been attempting to achieve that goal. Every move I make I realize has implications for the future.

Sharon Daloz Parks’ commentary on vocation in “Big Questions,Worthy Dreams” is particularly striking and suiting for the vocation of a teacher. “Vocation is the place where the heart’s deep gladness meets the world’s deep hunger”. This hunger can be anything but the way I perceive it is a hunger to teach to lead and to learn.

As a teacher I hope to inspire my students and give them enough motivation to bring them all the way through post secondary. I plan to be a good role model to my student and to make learning a fun activity instead of a mandatory chore. I hope that my students acquire a desire to continue to learn as well as a good set of morals and values when they leave my class.

Teachers are important role models in the life of many students. For this reason teacher should strive to be responsible and inspiring adults.


Although teaching is my ultimate dream I hope to fulfill my other ambitions, goals and desires.

4 Comments:

  • Well said Erma. I'm totally with you there.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Sun Jun 12, 05:56:00 PM 2005  

  • Hey Ermalinda,

    I feel that I get to know you more and more as this blog progresses. I'm amazed!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Mon Jun 13, 07:07:00 PM 2005  

  • People will soon be calling you Miss Luis. :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Mon Jun 13, 07:14:00 PM 2005  

  • Thanks for letting me stop by.

    You’ve probably been blogging for awhile. Have you reached the goals you started with, with your blog? or in life?

    How long does success take?

    How would you like a FREE guide to the quickest, easiest, most effective way to succeed in anything you do by modeling success?

    Goal Setting is the only way to reach your potential and you can get some great FREE information at goal setting

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Sat Oct 22, 07:58:00 AM 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home