Ermz

Monday, May 23, 2005

Graduation ....

Many of you are preparing for Graduation in the next few weeks. For all of you this is just the beginning, which is why they call it commencement. It is not because graduation is the end but the beginning of a new life, a new journey, and a new level on that video game to challenge.

Many say reach high for the stars but why should you. With a university and/or college education those stars should be found within yourselves. So I tell you this, look deep within you, that’s where the path to success is found. You are a child of God. You are all meant to shine, as children do. You were born to manifest the glory of God that is within us. It is not just in some of us; it is in EVERYONE. And as you let your own light shine, you unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As you are liberated from your own fear, your presence automatically liberates others.

I attended College first and many of you are probably reading this and are well aware that I didn’t attend the graduation ceremony. Something I am not too fond of. As a result I have speculated what it would have been like to walk across that platform and collect my diploma and say ‘yes, I finally did it’. I missed that but I feel God gave me something I never really asked for, yet he knew I needed. He gave me faith and confidence, and the mind to know what to do with it.

You see, the biggest contradiction I have noticed so far is the stress that is put on the big things in life when it is really all the little things scattered in between when I find I’m most happy. It’s those seemingly insignificant, random pieces of time that have kept me going throughout the crazies thrown at us as and they keep me laughing, smiling, and moving on. Whether it’s playing Dutch Blitz and focusing on getting that next Blitz, chatting and profile-snooping on MSN, or hearing a pointless story told from a friend--it’s those little moments of carefree smiling that I feel get overlooked.

With Core classes, chapel this, alpha that, volleyball or soccer practice here, yearbook deadline there, senate meeting going up, singing voices coming down, and time ticking all in between, it’s no wonder we students have been rushing through the motions of our ritualistic postsecondary lives. By the time we make it home or to the dorms, create time for dinner, toss a wave to the roomies, parents and/or spouses, and start our homework, the days begin to blur into nights and before you know it there goes the gross alarm reminding you it is time again.

Seriously, I know you can relate. You AREN’T lazy and you DO care. You EACH have such a diverse range of talents and interests that your involvement ranges from youth group activities and part time work to theatre rehearsals and basketball practice. One can rush through such endless cycles for only so long. Keep this pace up for the rest of your life, and soon enough, you’ll run yourself into the ground!

I mentioned before, it is those little things in life that appear purposeless on the surface but which I rely on throughout each day to carry me as I continue to look at life in an optimistic way. It’s fully enjoying the very little moments that allow me to be efficient with the future BIG ones. Even if its running around with the mascots head on your head, sliding down stair poles, and even running into that wall that you swear just appeared out of nowhere. Every experience is here to teach us more fully how to be who we really are.

Even though graduation is a big step to the next level or however you wish to describe it, I don’t have enough toes to count how many times I heard people say “mannn, graduation is so long and boring.” I’m pretty sure I was one of those people. But, in reality, this is what YOU have all worked so hard for. It will be your graduation ceremony. Those are your friends walking across the stage. It will be your time to smile and be proud of all you have accomplished. Sure it’s long, sure you have tons of kids in your class, but stare at everyone’s shoes or something. Laugh it up at the kid who is wearing flip-flops. Chuckle at the girl who is only 5’1” and takes 5 strides for each of your 2. Er, wait, that’s me and I’m not graduating. Enjoy the moment. Don’t rush through those motions. Its a significant event and you won’t re-live it again. It does deserve grins, laughter, and an optimistic attitude.

Life will run you by if you don’t take time to enjoy all the small things. And remember, it’s those little things that make life funny. People should laugh at most of the things in life, cry at a few, and be neutral at hardly anything.



Open your eyes and look around you,
Cherish the things you have today.
Your lives will never be the same,
The years will quickly pass away.

Be an example you'll be proud of,
One who's thoughtful and who's kind.
Always put your best foot forward,
Friendships "true" are hard to find.

This Chapter in your life now ends,
Another one's about to start.
The rewards in Life are greatest,
When you reach within your heart.

Whether you are making millions
Or sharing your last dime,
Enjoy Life to its fullest,
Its "Golden Moments Spent in Time.

One final note, I have learned and been awakened by many thoughts but here are two that have inspired me:

“Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless.” ~ Mother Teresa

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” ~Dr. Seuss

Guys, I thank you. It has been an honor to known you all. Good luck. Now, I am going to make like MSN Messenger and sign off with an L-O-L.
Ciao.
Erma, Ermz, Ermie, Ermelinda.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home